Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Still learning

Things are still moving right along and I'm experiencing new things almost daily.

-On Monday, we visited a council of elders in Tolon and it turned out to be quite an occasion. There was plenty of traditional procedure which included lots of introductions and speeches as well as drumming and dancing. Here's how the drumming/dancing works: As everyone in attendance is gathered around in a quasi-circle, the drumming troupe begins a rhythm and approaches an individual. This can be anyone from a chief to someone in the cheif's entourage or just anyone who is at the event. This approach is an invitation to dance, and like nearly all other invitations, it must be taken. As the dancer performs (a kind of rhtyhmic foot-shuffling dance) people from the crowd approach to put money (small change) into his/her hand or stick to the dancer's forehead. When the dancer is finished (after about a minute) all of the money is given to the drummers and then another person is invited to dance. I found it to be very interesting and entertaining, too. Yes, I danced.

-I had another drumming lesson yesterday and Lunaa says that he can see improvement. Hopefully I'll be ready in two week's time for the performance on the 19th. I'm very interested in the story that is behind every dance, specifically the Bamaya. From what I've heard so far, a long time ago a farmer went into the bush one night and saw some dwarves dancing this dance. He then, of course, had to bring the dance back to share with his village. That's all I've got so far, but it's enough to keep me interested to dig for more.

-Last Friday Susan received a live guinea fowl as a thank you gift in return for the gift she sent to a funeral. It was for dinner.

No comments: