Thursday, June 26, 2008

Progress

-Today I had my very first lesson in traditional drumming. Lunaa (the chief's drummer) is my instructor and a very good one at that. I learned three of the basic rhythms; the Jera, the Damba Sua, and the Damba Manle. Any experts out there who specialize in traditional Ghanaian drumming will have to forgive me for the spellings, which I am sure are not correct. It was funny trying to keep the children away while we were working. They wanted to come right up and touch the drum, but had to settle for just dancing around us. However, some were curious to see this white guy playing a drum, but reluctant to come to close.

-Also, I have learned that with Lunaa's position of primary drummer comes the responsibility of keeping in his memory the history of cheifs. It is his job to serve as the database of lines of succession, historic polical moves, noteworthy controversies, and other such items of historical importance. It is interesting that this traditional dual assignment of musician-historian is my no means arbitrary. I have heard about this same connection in other cultures with oral history, but it takes on such depth to see it functioning in person. It is definitely subject matter for 'music and the brain' studies.

-I have finally received my custom-made sandals from the shop down the street. I am very happy with them, but I need to wear them around to break in the leather.

-I practiced my horn today and got quite a few knocks on the door from curious listeners. Fati also let me know that she heard music coming from my room and was very pleased because she just "loves music so much." Again, I realized then all the things I want to share while I'm here. Settling in to the new environment threw me off for a bit, but now I think that my horn will be going with me almost everywhere I go. I am especially looking forward to taking it along to the primary school visits.

No comments: