Thursday, July 10, 2008

Keeping busy

I apologize for the delay in posting, but I've been staying very busy.
-Last week consisted of some more chiefly visits. I finally got my first taste of a kola nut that is traditionally given out during such visits. It's very bitter and instead of actually consuming the thing, I've been saving it and giving it to the people around here that actually like it.

-We have also been visiting a few local schools that have links to schools in Louisville. I took my horn along and played "Abide With Me" for the school near the palace. The students all seemed very interested in the foreign instrument. It makes me wonder how they, being accustomed to different musical sounds, perceived its tone and timbre.

-I've started having music theory lessons with the music directors of the 1st Baptist Church. They have informed me that their musicians want to be able to read music and even compose. It's an interesting challenge to teach notation to musicians who have so heavily relied on their ear. It does help that their self-developed ear-training is so good, but it is still difficult at times to translate the ink on the page into a musical thought.

-I spent most of today at the Metro Assembly Executive meeting where the MCE (mayor) of Tamale was presenting the assembly with proposals for waste management and sanitation improvements. This was a far stretch from the music side of Ghana, but still interesting. It is educational to watch the cultural differences that show up in the debates.

-Tonight I'm going to work with a local NGO that is applying for grant money to start a program in support of local female artists. We're going to go over the proposal and make sure that it is American-friendly for the donors. It should be a good time.

No comments: